1) Survey – observe what’s going on
2) Context – historical, literary, canon
3) Formal Analysis – form, structure, movement of the text
4) Detailed Analysis – key words, meaning in context from original athor to original audience, narrative detail
5) Synthesis – what is/are the main point(s) of the text?
6) Reflection – what does it mean for you? Your faith community?
7) Expand & Refine – use more tools (Internet, books, commentaries, discussion). What do other scholars say about the text? How does their work influence your work?